Margaret “Amie” Kozan
Margaret E. Kozan, P.A.
803 Maryland Ave
Skilled at legal analysis and writing, Ms. Kozan often works with trial court litigators in developing trial strategy, advising on complex legal issues, and drafting substantive motions and memoranda.
Licensed in two states and a graduate of Louisiana State University’s School of Law, Ms. Kozan finished in the top ten percent of her law school class, served as a Senior Editor of the Louisiana Law Review, and is a member of the Order of the Coif. Following law school she served as judicial clerk to United States District Court Judge Frank Polozola in the Middle District of Louisiana.
With 27 years of legal experience, Ms. Kozan has focused the past 15 years of her practice on appellate litigation. She not only represents clients in state and federal appellate courts, she is also regularly engaged by other lawyers to assist with litigation at the trial court level.
Ms. Kozan is former chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Committee and has served on Ninth Circuit Grievance Committee and the pro bono committee of the Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice Section. She is a former media lawyer and commercial litigator who worked in journalism and media relations before law school.
For the past seven years straight, Ms. Kozan has been selected as a Florida “Super Lawyer” in appellate practice. She has an “AV Preeminent” peer rating by Martindale-Hubbell (reflecting the highest level of legal ability and ethical standards). And, she has twice been selected by the Judicial Nominating Commission for potential appointment to the Fifth District Court of Appeal.
- The Florida Bar
- Louisiana State Bar Association (inactive)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- All Florida Courts
- Orange County Bar Association
- Former Member of the Ninth Circuit Grievance Committee
- Former Member of the Statewide Advertising Grievance Committee
- Former Chair of the OCBA Appellate Practice Committee
- Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section Pro Bono Committee
- Central Florida Association of Women Lawyers
Ms. Kozan has experience in state and federal appellate courts representing appellants and appellees, businesses and individuals, petitioners and respondents in a wide array of legal areas, including:
- Business Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Workers’ Compensation
- Insurance Coverage
- Section 1983 Actions
- Media Law
Ms. Kozan also provides strategic support to Orlando-area trial attorneys. She advises litigators on issue preservation and helps them build cases to best withstand challenges on appeal. Trial attorneys who consult with appellate lawyers at the beginning of litigation are typically better positioned if their cases are later reviewed by an appellate court.
She is also experienced in drafting substantive pleadings and motions in both state and federal courts:
- Summary Judgments
- Oppositions to Motions for Summary Judgment
- Motions to Dismiss
- Oppositions to Motions to Dismiss
- Motions in Limine
- Daubert Motions
- Appellate Briefs
- Petitions for Writ of Certiorari
- Responses to Petitions for Writ of Certiorari