1001 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Building L, Suite 325
Austin TX 78746
Kevin Terrazas has successfully represented clients in a wide range of complex disputes, including jury trials, arbitrations, and appeals from Texas County Courts at Law and Probate Courts to the United States Supreme Court. Both Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law and registered to practice before the Patent and Trademark Office, Kevin focuses his practice on trials and appeals involving intellectual property, contracts, employment, torts, constitutional law, antitrust, and other commercial matters.
An honors graduate of both Harvard Law School and West Point, Kevin served in the United States Army during Operation Iraqi Freedom for which he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal. Kevin also clerked for the Honorable Priscilla R. Owen of the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and is a graduate of the U.S. Army’s Ranger, Airborne, and Air Assault schools. Prior to founding Terrazas PLLC, Kevin was a co-founding partner of Cleveland Terrazas, PLLC, a partner at Weisbart Springer Hayes LLP, and a partner at Yetter Coleman LLP.
Honors & Recognition:
- Chambers USA 2020 – Band 1; 2021 – Band 2 Litigation: General Commercial – Texas: Austin & Surrounds
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2020-2021; Texas Rising Stars, 2013-2017, Thompson Reuters Legal
- Austin Under 40, Finalist 2015, 2017 (Legal)
- Top 40 Under 40 Military Class of 2012, Civilian Job News
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, Texas Bar College
- Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation
- Harry S. Truman Scholar
- Successfully defended on appeal an over $2.5 million judgment concerning negligence by City of Austin in Third Court of Appeals.
- Argued contract dispute before the Fifth Circuit that resulted in vacatur and remand of bankruptcy court judgment due to lack of constitutional authority.
- Reversed final judgment (including award of attorneys fees) in Third Court of Appeals involving a breach of contract over an alleged services agreement.
- Successfully reversed summary judgment in Sixth Court of Appeals involving breach of contract, fraud, and tortious interference claims for automotive dealerships.
- Reversed TCPA ruling that resulted in multiple claims being dismissed by Third Court of Appeals in breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Represented association of district attorneys as amicus curiae in United States Supreme Court for case involving municipal liability for Brady violations (advocated for winning Supreme Court decision).
- Reversed judgment denying over $100,000 in attorneys’ fees for breach of contract action in Third Court of Appeals.
- Represented international mining company in Texas Supreme Court concerning evident partiality of arbitrator.
- Reversed Anti-SLAPP ruling that resulted in Third Court of Appeals dismissing 7 of 8 claims in tortious interference, conversion, and defamation suit.
- Twice successfully argued a voting rights dispute before the Fifth Circuit resulting in vacatur of the district court’s injunctive orders.
- Secured order from Third Court of Appeals in fraud and breach of fiduciary duty action that served to moot temporary restraining order.
- Successfully represented medical device patent holders before the Federal Circuit in a dispute over an Inter Partes Reexamination.
- Represented institutional investors as amicus curiae in United States Supreme Court in support of winning side for securities litigation matter under the PSLRA.
- Secured affirmation of denial of TCPA ruling in Third Court of Appeals involving defamation claim.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict, including punitive damages, in tortious interference suit concerning automotive repair and performance company in Williamson County District Court.
- Successfully obtained temporary injunction concerning competitive local exchange carrier concerning ultra vires acts of the Public Utility Commission.
- Successfully tried quantum meruit case to jury verdict involving distribution companies in Bexar County District Court.
- Successfully obtained order granting nondischargeability of entire bankruptcy case after bench trial.
- Secured dismissal of patent claims and grant of summary judgment on claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, and tortious interference involving electro-therapeutic treatment equipment and procedures in Minnesota Federal District Court.
- Secured grants of summary judgment on affirmative claim for breach of contract and dismissal of breach of contract and fraud claims concerning real estate development takedown tract contract in Williamson County District Court that resulted in approximately $500,000 judgment in favor of client.
- Successfully obtained TRO and temporary injunction for breach of non-competition agreement involving veterinary services.
- Successfully obtained favorable judgment after Federal District Court bench trial involving DTPA, fraud, and breach of contract claims for specialized paint boutique.
- Successfully obtained Temporary Restraining Order and agreed judgment in suit for breach of non-competition agreement.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for breach of settlement agreement involving partnership dispute in commercial property management business.
- Successfully obtained favorable judgment after four-day bench trial involving breach of partnership agreement in automotive industry.
- Secured dismissal of multiple defendants in federal court involving trademark and copyright claims.
- Successfully obtained Temporary Restraining Order in breach of commercial lease agreement that led to favorable settlement and complete relief for client.
- Successfully obtained declaratory judgment and permanent injunction after bench trial against governmental entity based on violations of the Texas Constitution.
- Secured favorable settlement after 2-day arbitration involving life insurance dispute.
- Successfully obtained jury verdict in breach of contract action involving development of innovative technologies against engineering firm.
- Successfully tried breach of contract action before Texas State jury related to guaranty agreement that resulted in one of 100 top verdicts in Texas in 2016.
- Secured arbitration award in breach of non-compete action on behalf of multi-million dollar flooring company.
- Successfully defended an Oklahoma utility against patent infringement, resulting in a summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Successfully prosecuted a claim under the Texas Securities Act for individual against Austin manufacturer.
- Represented international media company in multiple employment related issues including securing Delaware federal injunction related to violations of non-competition agreement.
- Tried an employer discrimination suit in federal district court, which resulted in significant changes to proposed consent decree.
- Secured take nothing judgment on claims of personal injury involving power plant construction company.
- Successfully represented Texas Attorney General in election dispute, resulting in take-nothing judgment.
- Successfully defended international corporation in FLSA collective action suit.
- Defended an international corporation against a non-practicing entity in a patent infringement suit involving smart grid technology, including successfully arguing Markman hearing.
- Secured dismissal of securities class action concerning merger of technology company.
- Successfully represented association of firefighters in defense of hiring processes against Title VII challenge.
- Represented a steel service center for pre-trial matters in antitrust dispute that was later tried to a $156 million judgment.
- Successfully represented minority shareholders of Austin-based health foods provider in dispute over ownership.
- Defended trial court’s order on mandamus before the Federal Circuit in a patent infringement suit over a device installed on an oil and gas rig.
- Successfully represented victim of constitutional rights violations caused by a municipal employee.
- Successfully represented executives in Title VII and §1983 discrimination case involving promotion practices of municipal fire department.
- Successfully represented a large manufacturer of wireless devices in a patent infringement suit concerning Bluetooth technology.
- Represented individual in wrongful termination suit against non-profit employer that resulted in favorable settlement.
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, American Red Cross of Central Texas
- Director, National Philanthropic Board, American Red Cross
- Past President, Hispanic Bar Association of Austin, 2017; Treasurer, 2013-2016
- Barrister, Calvert Inn of Court
- Secretary, West Point Society of Central Texas
- Elder, Southwest Bible Church
- Former Council Member, Austin Bar Appellate Section
Based in Austin, Texas, Terrazas PLLC tries complex commercial cases in state and federal courts and arbitration tribunals across the country, and represents clients in appellate courts, up to and including the United States Supreme Court. We have won for plaintiffs and defendants in cases where millions of dollars are at stake, and more importantly, where reputations are threatened and businesses are on the line.
Our attorneys have been recognized in Thomson Reuters – Texas Super Lawyers and in the Chambers USA rankings. We have practiced with some of the best law firms in the country, and we bring that level of legal service to our clients, with the focus, efficiency, and practicality of a boutique firm.