Alvin B. Davis
Squire Patton Boggs
200 South Biscayne Boulevard
Miami, FL 33131
Tel: +1 305 577 2835
Alvin litigates regularly at the trial and appellate levels on behalf of major national and international companies including utilities, manufacturers, insurers, law firms, airlines and non-US governments and agencies. His legal practice focuses on high-profile, complex litigation, arbitration and international dispute resolution in the areas of securities and shareholder class actions, products liability, environmental claims, regulatory proceedings and a host of sophisticated contractual disputes.
Alvin is included in Florida Super Lawyers, published by Thomson Reuters, based on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement, and as one of the top 100 lawyers in Miami. In 2009 he was also listed in The Legal 500 US and Benchmark: Litigation. Alvin has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 1991 and has appeared in Chambers USA each year since 2003. In addition, he has been recognized among Florida’s Legal Elite by Florida Trend magazine each year since 2004 and listed among the top lawyers in Florida by the South Florida Legal Guide each year since 2005.
In 2014, he was recognized by the Daily Business Review for achieving one of the top three most-precedent-setting appellate decisions for the State of Florida, let alone the US, in The Republic of Ecuador v. Roberto Isaias Dassum and William Isaias Dassum, Case No. 09-34950, Circuit Court for Miami-Dade County, FL, in which the Third District Court of Appeal clarified the Act of State Doctrine and the Extraterritoriality Exception, which had not previously been addressed by Florida courts.
Alvin previously served as the managing partner of Steel Hector & Davis and was managing partner of Squire Patton Boggs’ Miami office from 2005 to 2010, following the combination of Steel Hector and Squire Patton Boggs in 2005.
Alvin lectures regularly to The Florida Bar through both the American Law Institute of the American Bar Association and Lorman Education Services on jury preparation, trial tactics, as well as on behalf of Directors’ Roundtable on trends in D&O/securities and shareholder litigation and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He is a member of the Dade County Bar Association, Bar Association of the District of Columbia and American Bar Association.
- Serving as lead appellate counsel in two cases before the Florida Supreme Court on behalf of the state’s largest utility supporting two decisions by the Public Service Commission in favor of the utility.
- Serving as lead trial and appellate counsel for the Republic of Ecuador in litigation in Miami to recover tens of millions of dollars in funds embezzled from the Republic’s principal bank.
- Serving as lead trial and appellate counsel in the representation of a Dominican Republic-based manufacturer to recover funds taken in fraudulent currency exchange transactions.
- Serving as lead trial and appellate counsel in a dispute over the calculation of millions of dollars of annual franchise fees to be paid by a utility to a county government.
- Serving as regional lead trial counsel in a series of complex medical product liability lawsuits at trial and appellate levels.
- Serving as lead counsel at trial and appellate levels in a Florida county’s effort to impose a privilege fee on utility facilities declared unconstitutional.
- Regularly arguing federal and appellate court appeals including appeals from bankruptcy rulings.
- Serving as lead appellate counsel in a series of appeals pertaining to tobacco litigation.
- Serving as lead trial counsel and appellate counsel in complex lender liability and financial institution cases.
The firm’s lawyers handle appeals in every substantive and procedural area of civil and criminal law, serving clients in all aspects of the appellate process. In addition, clients retain the firm specifically to take over appeals after adverse jury verdicts, as well as to complement their trial team on trials with a high level of risk exposure.
With a multidisciplinary team of over 1,500 lawyers in over 40 offices across four continents, Squire Patton Boggs is well-established geographically with strong local and regional positions in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Latin America, and the firm’s practice experience spans all key sectors.